All the 11 administrative districts in the state will be put under the four economic corridors, namely Northern Economic Corridor, Southern Economic Corridor, Central Economic Corridor and Northeastern Economic Corridor, Each of the districts has its own unique characteristics.
The state government will plan and implement development projects in all the ten administrative districts in accordance with their individual advantages and strengths to ensure balanced development of the state in achieving the objective of propelling the state’s economic development.
Northern Corridor Economic Region
The Northern Corridor Economic Region encompasses three administrative districts in the state of Perak, namely Kerian, Larut-Matang-Selama and Kuala Kangsar. It includes the major development zones of Parit Buntar industrial corridor, Taiping Municipal Council, Bukit Merah and Selama.
Under the Northern Corridor Economic Region, the Perak state government has identified manufacturing, real estate development and tourism industry as key development sectors. Among the development projects are:
- Bukit Merah Lake development project
- Lembah Beriah mixed use development
- Eco-tourism oriented tourism industry development (Kuala Sepetang mangrove swamp and Kuala Gula Bird Sanctuary), historical legacy and commercial centers (such as theme park and zoo) and highland resorts.
- Royal Town (institutions and history)
- SME development program
Southern Perak Economic Corridor
The Southern Perak Economic Corridor encompasses two administrative districts: Batang Padang and Hilir Perak. It includes areas from Slim River to Tanjung Malim and parts of Lembah Bernam, from Tapah to Bidor and Sungkai, and from Teluk Intan to Changkat Jong and Langkap.
Tanjung Malim is the manufacturing base of Proton and consequently the automobile industry has been singled out as the most important development area under the Southern Perak Economic Corridor. The other key sectors are education and agriculture. Among the development projects identified for the Southern Perak Economic Corridor are:
- Proton City
- Sultan Idris Education University
- The National Institute of Land & Survey in Behrang Ulu
- Sultan Azlan Shah Polytechnic Tanjung Malim
- Papaya cultivation
- Small scale boat manufacturing industry
- Rice cultivation
Central Perak Economic Corridor
Central Perak Economic Corridor encompasses three administrative districts of Perak, namely Kinta, Perak Tengah and Manjung. It includes the city of Ipoh, Batu Gajah and Kampar, Seri Iskandar and Parit, Lumut, Seri Manjung and Kampung Acheh industrial park.
Since Kinta district is the administrative hub of Perak, the Central Perak Economic Corridor has since become the focal point of investors’ attention. Among the key industrial sectors to be developed here are commercial, industrial sectors, public and private education, maritime industry. Development projects include:
- State administrative center
- Center of education excellence
- International tourism hub
- Pulau Sembilan marine park
- Lumut-Damai Laut-Segari
- Industrial hub
- Lumut Port City
Northeastern Perak Economic Corridor
The Northeastern Perak Economic Corridor encompasses two administrative districts: Hulu Perak and Selama. Hulu Perak is known for its fertile farmlands and scenic beauty. Consequently, the state government has singled out agriculture, eco-tourism and R&D as key areas of development.
Development projects already identified by the state government include:
- Aquacultural research and development, biotechnology, forestry, timber and education institutions.
- Pulau Banding
- Royal Belum State Park
- Kroh Free Trade Zone northern gateway
- Lenggong Archeological Museum